Craving a vegetarian twist on a classic comfort food? Look no further than this mouth-watering Vegetarian Chicken Fried Steak recipe from Simply Recipes!
- 2 large portobello mushrooms
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil for frying
1. Clean and slice the portobello mushrooms into steaks, about 1/2 inch thick.
2. In a shallow dish, mix together the flour, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and paprika.
3. In another shallow dish, whisk together the milk and egg.
4. In a third shallow dish, place the breadcrumbs.
5. Heat about 1/2 inch of vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
6. Dip each mushroom steak first in the flour mixture, then in the milk mixture, and finally coat in the breadcrumbs.
7. Place the coated mushroom steaks in the hot oil and fry until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes per side.
8. Once cooked, transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to remove excess oil.
9. Serve hot with your favorite dipping sauce and side dishes. Enjoy!
Estimated Macros per Serving:
Based on the ingredients provided, the estimated macronutrient breakdown per portion (assuming two portions total) of Vegetarian Chicken Fried Steak is:
Please note that these are rough estimates and may vary depending on the exact ingredients used and the cooking method.