Looking for a vegan version of chicken fried steak? Look no further than Simply Recipes for a savory plant-based recipe that's ready in just 30 minutes.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 portobello mushroom caps
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Clean and slice the portobello mushroom caps into 1/2 inch thick pieces.
3. In a bowl, combine flour, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Mix well.
4. In another bowl, combine the almond milk and apple cider vinegar.
5. Dip each slice of mushroom into the flour mixture, then dip into the almond milk mixture.
6. Coat the mushroom slices in breadcrumbs.
7. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
8. Add the coated mushroom slices to the skillet and cook until golden brown on both sides, about 3-4 minutes per side.
9. Once the mushroom slices are golden brown, transfer them into a baking dish and cook for 15 minutes.
10. Once the vegan chicken fried steak is done cooking, enjoy immediately with your favorite side dishes.
Estimated Macros per Serving:
The macronutrients per portion may vary based on the specific brands and types of ingredients used, but here is an estimate: